How do you feel about modern retro?

I'm playing a lot of retro-modern games, titles that mimic the game mechanics and the graphics of old classics (see the recent releases of new versions of Snow Bros, Cotton, F-Zero 99, and so on), but I am also spending a lot of time with Arcade Archives' releases, because I like to compete - with mediocre results - in the leaderboards, and because playing is easy and comfortable, and I don't have to use my old carts and consoles.

Still, Arcade Archives do not offer the same experience as playing the games on the home systems they were originally released for (mostly as conversions of coin-ops). For example, shmups on Saturn and Dreamcast suffer from less input lag.

My question to you is: how do you feel about playing old classics on new consoles? Do you go for the new additions (options, leaderboads...) or do you want to play the games on the original home hardware they were released on?

Interesting question, that, for me, is leading to quite similar results. Especially on the "Arcade Archives do not offer the same experience as playing the games on original hardware" part.

The only retro port I bought on more modern systems (in this case the Switch) is Thunder Force IV, which is still blasting the same astonishing soundtrack of course... but.. it just hits different. F-Zero 99 on the other hand is a different beast when it comes to playability and features. It LOOKS like the original, but plays feels nowhere like it.

The older the games get, the more I feel a need to play it on dedicated hardware. It's a little bit different of course with systems like the SNES Mini. Stuff might be emulated, but having an SNES-styled piece of hardware in front of me and holding an SNES-styled controller in my hands tells my brain, that I'm travelling back in time, having the fun of my life again.

Retro Games on modern hardware is a complicated relationship. It also comes down to raw image quality. Blowing up a 224p image to a 1080p or even 2160p screen just is not it... :ugly:  not as crispy, featured scanlines are downright fake... and so on.

Think it depends which games I want to play. SNK Games are for me okay to play it on Switch, I am not a Fan of the Neo Geo Arcade Stick, so it's okay for me to play Games like Blazing Star, Metal Slug or Neo Turf Master on Nintendo Switch. Options like Highscore is not interesting for me. Because when I play retrogames, than I try to motivate me for RPG's and those I prefer to play on Original Hardware.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Oldgamer:

suffer from less input lag

Out of context, that's a really strange quote :ugly: 

I'm not much of a retro gamer, but while I still have my old consoles back to the SNES, I can't really hook them up to anything, at least not in a way that looks remotely good. If you want the original feel, you also need the original type of display, which in the case of anything up to a Game Cube means a CRT monitor. Or you need dedicated hardware to handle the conversion, and afaik the good ones are quite expensive. I don't play enough retro games to justify expenses for this, nor the space setting them up would mean, so if I do want to play an old game (that isn't PC), I use a port to a modern system, and if there isn't one available, I just don't play it. Or rather, most of the time, the release of a port to a modern system is what causes me to play the game in the first place.

bearbeitet von Naryoril

14 minutes ago, Naryoril said:

Out of context, that's a really strange quote :ugly: 

I'm not much of a retro gamer, but while I still have my old consoles back to the SNES, I can't really hook them up to anything, at least not in a way that looks remotely good. If you want the original feel, you also need the original type of display, which in the case of anything up to a Game Cube means a CRT monitor. Or you need dedicated hardware to handle the conversion, and afaik the good ones are quite expensive. I don't play enough retro games to justify expenses for this, nor the space setting them up would mean, so if I do want to play an old game (that isn't PC), I use a port to a modern system, and if there isn't one available, I just don't play it. Or rather, most of the time, the release of a port to a modern system is what causes me to play the game in the first place.

Yes, you'd also need an old-school monitor/TV set to appreciate pre-HDMI gaming in its most genuine form. I still have a couple of old TV sets, but I rarely use them, because it's not very convenient (they are in a room which is no longer my home office). I found Analogue products (SNES, MD, PCE) to be a great compromise thanks to all their video output options, but it's still not the same as the original HW.