The Last Guardian (PS4)

Ich denke mit der heutigen offiziellen Ankündigung für die PS4 hat der Titel seinen eigenen Thread verdient. :happytears:

The Last Guardian,[1] known in Japan as Hitokui no Ōwashi Trico (人喰いの大鷲トリコ Hitokui no Ōwashi Toriko?, literally "Trico, the man-eating eagle") and previously referred to by the working title Project Trico, is an upcoming video game developed by Team Ico and distributed by Sony Computer Entertainment. The title is being designed and directed by Fumito Ueda, and is expected to share stylistic, thematic, and gameplay elements with his previous titles, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, though it is unknown whether it will be directly related to either.[2] The game has been shown to involve a young boy who befriends a giant bird/dog-like creature, Trico, and the two work together to evade guards that are after them both. The game requires the player, controlling the boy, to manipulate Trico like a real animal, such as luring it with food, as to use the creature as a means to climb and reach high platforms or other remote places.

The game has been in development since 2007, and was formally announced at Electronic Entertainment Expo 2009 with a planned release in 2011 exclusively for the PlayStation 3 video game console.[3][4] The game has since suffered from numerous delays and further complications, including Ueda's departure as a full-time employee of Sony, though he remains as a consultant on the project. The game was formally reintroduced at the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2015, and is now aimed for a 2016 release on the PlayStation 4.

• Antworten 207
  • Created
  • Letzte Antwort

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...

Edge-TLG-x.jpg

The Last Guardian: First hands-on preview reveals new gameplay details and confirms 2016 release

It has been nearly a year since Sony re-introduced The Last Guardian, Fumito Ueda's long-suffering follow-up to PS2 classics Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. Now, as we approach E3 2016, Edge Magazine has published the first hands-on preview of the game – revealing new gameplay details and confirming that the game will still release this year.

Issue 294's cover story includes impressions from an early portion of the game, an interview with Ueda, and discusses at length the game's star – the enormous feathered, cat-like creature called Trico, that accompanies the player's diminutive protagonist.

In an accompanying Q&A with Ueda, the legendary designer says: "Since this is the year we will see the game's release, I do have some worries, but I'm also very excited."

The preview details a new gameplay mechanic, in which the human boy character wields a mirrored shield. "Holding circle 'illuminates' the device," states the article, "shining what is ostensibly an ornate crosshair onto any surface it's aimed at... [Trico] can fire a devastating beam of red lightning from its tail, and will direct this power wherever we point the mirrored shield."

In the demo Edge were shown, this attack was used for environmental puzzles – "one involving the destruction of a rock face, the other the disintegration of a wooden wall" – but Edge wonders whether it will be used against the armoured, enemy characters seen on the extended magazine's cover.

Back to The Last Guardian's biggest star, Trico is "one of the most striking video game presences in recent years," reads the article, but one who may be as "divisive" as Ico's Yorda, who "irritated as many players as she charmed." It is a "free-spirited creature that flagrantly disregards your attempts to tame it" - which prompted a question to Ueda about whether this may annoy players.

"It would be a lie to stay that I have no worries," says the legendary game designer, "but another game where you can completely control a creature wouldn't be enjoyable for me because there are a lot out there where you can do that. I think I've had enough of them."

The article later states that as the game progresses, and Trico and the boy's relationship strengthens, the creature will become more responsive to player requests. It also reveals that Trico's eyes will change colour to reflect its mood: "a pink tinge denotes wariness and anger, for example."

Trico is described as a powerful creature, but one that's timid and nervous in its nature. "One area a little later in the demo sees us emerge high up from the wall of a huge cave that holds an underground lake. We immediately take the opportunity to leap into the clear water below, diving underneath the surface and exploring the muffled underwater world for a time. On resurfacing, we find Trico timidly pawing at the edge of the drop, refusing to jump. It is, after all, part cat."

Ueda says of Trico: "This creature isn't like the cute pets that exist in other games, or an ally that's really useful. The role of the creature is ambiguous; that's something we wanted to express in the game, and it doesn't always do what you ask it to do. That's one of the themes of The Last Guardian. It's something that's difficult, and completely different. I want to create the next thing - an experience that people have never had before.

"The amount of code is very large compared to AI in conventional games. We've given this creature its own desires, so depending on what action it wants to take, that affects everything, including its animation. It's not like a normal humanoid character."

The Last Guardian has been in the works for over eight years, spending most of that in the ether of uncertainty. Until it's re-introduction at E3 2015, many assumed the game was dead in the water. Asked about this, Ueda told Edge: "It was quite difficult for me to keep my motivation up. But my other games have also had long development periods, so in that sense, I think I've been able to keep my motivation quite high."

The brilliant full feature also includes discussion of the game's hand drawn animations for both Trico and the boy. The magazine is in UK stores now.

ibtimes.co.uk

Es soll also tatsächlich in diesem Jahr kommen :ugly:.. wird sicherlich gebührend Platz an der diesjährigen E3-Sony-PK bekommen.

Hier noch ein weiteres, doch ziemlich interessantes IGN First-Video mit Ueada:

Darin geht er natürlich mit keinem Wort auf die "Streitigkeiten" ein, die es ja in den letzten 1-2 Jahren zwischen Sony und Ueda gab... so von wegen "Knebelvertrag" - UND-DU-STELLST-DAS-SPIEL-VERDAMMT-NOCHMAL-FERTIG-KOSTE-ES-WAS-ES-WOLLE :ugly:

So ein richtiger Inside-Blick wäre da wirklich sehr interessant. Wird's aber wohl u.a. aus Image-Gründen niemals geben :ugly:..

[video=youtube;7SG-i4siVFc]

Dass die Entscheidung, das Spiel nicht mehr für PS3, sondern für PS4 zu veröffentlichen, für Ueada erst enttäuschend war... nun ja.. ich kann's im Ansatz verstehen. Man hat den Titel natürlich speziell auf die komplett andere Cell-Architektur zugeschnitten. Nur ja... er sagt zwar, dass grafisch mit der PS4 viel mehr und alles viel schneller möglich ist, aber... so richtig viel geiler sieht das jetzt auf der PS4 nicht aus :ugly:?...

Auch wenn man das hier absolut nicht erkennen kann - ich freue mich auf den Tag, an dem du diese Phrasen auch mal objektiv belegen kannst :ugly:

Hauptsache motzen :ugly:

Persönlich lobe ich Shadow of the Colossus in den Himmel, wenn ich mir aber die Videos zu The last Guardian anschaue, dann überzeugt mich bisher gar nichts vom Titel. Es sieht einfach langweilig aus. Nicht einmal das Monster kann mich beeindrucken.

Meine Meinung kann sich natürlich noch ändern, aber ein Oberhammer erwarte ich nach dem gezeigten nicht.

Dito bezüglich "erwarte keinen Oberhammer" - es wurde ja jetzt auch noch nicht wirklich soooo viel gezeigt. Und ich kann mir gut vorstellen, dass die Beziehung zwischen Mensch und Biest wirklich sehr facettenreich sein könnte - zumal sich, wie man sehen kann, das Biest auch ziemlich eigenständig verhält und sich z.B. erst nach ermutigendem Zurufen auf eine wackelige Brücke getraut, nachdem es erst ängstlich und skeptisch wieder zurückweicht. Aber ob das über Stunden unterhält und sich motivierend in die Rätsel einbaut... wir werden es sehen :ugly:

Auf jeden Fall besitzt es wieder einen sehr atmosphärischen Stil.

• 4 weeks later...